Insurance Terms of Business
Who are we?
Pets Insure Together's policies are arranged and administered by BDML Connect Ltd, 1000 Lakeside North Harbour, Western Road, Portsmouth PO6 3EN. BDML Connect is an insurance intermediary. Your pet insurance is underwritten by Broadgate Syndicate 1301 at Lloyd's of London and The International Insurance Company of Hannover.
Advice – please note
We do not give opinions or recommendations. We will give you information about a product but cannot make a decision for you.
Who regulates us?
BDML Connect Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA). BDML Connect Ltd’s FSA number is 309140. Our permitted business is arranging general insurance contracts. You can check this information on the FSA’s website at www.fsa.gov.ukor by contacting the FSA on 0300 500 5000. Please note that the Financial Services Authority, the Financial Ombudsman Service and the Financial Services Compensation Scheme do not operate in respect of Channel Island or Isle of Man risks. BDML holds money as agent of the insurer.
Who owns us?
BDML Connect Ltd is part of Capita Plc.
What to do if you need to complain
Please phone our Customer Service Department on 0844 499 8223 or write to; The Complaints Manager, BDML Connect Ltd, 1000 Lakeside North Harbour, Western Road, Portsmouth PO6 3EN. If you remain dissatisfied with our response, you may approach the Financial Ombudsman Service, South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London E14 9SR. Telephone 0300 123 9123.
Full details of our complaints procedure are given in our Policy Booklet, a copy is available on request.
In addition to premiums charged by the insurer we make the following charges:
- Duplicate Documents
- No Charge
- Administration due to change of your personal details
- No Charge
- Cancellation of the policy within the first 14 days of receipt of the policy documents
- Providing there has not been a claim, other than for the death or loss of your pet, and the Schedule of Insurance has been returned to us, a full refund will be made if you decide to cancel the policy within the first 14 days of the purchase date or receipt of the policy documents, whichever comes later.
- Cancellation of the policy after the first 14 days of receipt of the policy documents
- Your policy is a contract for 12 months. If your insurance is cancelled for any reason after the first 14 days a pro-rata charge and a £10 cancellation fee will be made. If you cancel and a claim has been made (except for death/loss) there will be no refund of premium and a charge of £10 will be made. If you make a claim (except for death/loss) and you are paying by instalments the full outstanding premium and the additional £10 cancellation fee will become due. We reserve the right to deduct all outstanding premium and the £10 charge from any claim payment.
If you pay by Instalments
If you choose to pay by direct debit, your monthly instalment plan will be financed by Premium Credit Limited. Premium Credit will send you a welcome pack which will include a credit agreement. In assessing your application Premium Credit will search the public information a credit reference agency holds about you. The credit reference agency will add details of the search to their records whether or not the application for credit proceeds. This and other information may be used to make credit decisions about you and to undertake checks for the prevention and detection of money laundering. Failing to make a payment when it is due will result in cancellation of the credit agreement and may result in cancellation of your insurance.
Each year, subject to the underwriter’s agreement, we will send you renewal terms. These may include renewing to a different insurer if the underwriter of Pets Insure Together insurance has changed for new policies in the course of the year.
If you pay by instalments:-
- Your policy will automatically renew on an annual basis for your convenience. This will be confirmed by us sending you your renewal documents detailing the premium payable and the terms and conditions applicable for the renewed policy.
- If you do not wish to renew your policy you should return to us the Schedule of Insurance and cancel your Direct Debit with your bank.
Your duty to disclose
It is important that all information you give us verbally or in writing, in proposing for, renewing, making changes to your insurance, or making a claim, is full and correct, and that you tell us about all relevant changes such as address and pet details. Failure to do so could invalidate your policy or claims made under it, or result in an increased premium or additional terms.
Fraud Prevention and Detection
In order to prevent and detect fraud we may at any time:
- Share information about you with other organisations and public bodies including the Police;
- Check and/or file your details with fraud prevention agencies and databases, and if you give us false or inaccurate information and we suspect fraud, we will record this.
We and other organisations may also search these agencies and databases to:
- Help make decisions about the provision and administration of insurance, credit and related services for you and members of your household;
- Trace debtors or beneficiaries; recover debt, prevent fraud and to manage your accounts or insurance policies;
- Check your identity to prevent money laundering, unless you furnish us with other satisfactory proof of identity;
- Undertake credit searches and additional fraud searches.
For data protection purposes, BDML Connect Ltd is the data controller. We will hold and process your personal data for insurance administration, marketing and statistical analysis. For this purpose, the information may also be passed to selected third parties, insurers and may be processed outside the EEA. You understand that all personal data you supply must be accurate. You can ask us for more information about this. At the request of our customers and to make managing your insurance more convenient, it is our policy to deal with your spouse or partner who calls provided they are named on the policy. They will be allowed to amend the policy but not cancel it. If you would like someone else to be able to deal with your policy on a regular basis please provide us with written permission. If at any time you would prefer us to deal with you only, please let us know.
Pets Insure Together may like to keep you up to date about its own products and services and those of other companies which may be of interest to you. However, if you prefer not to be kept informed please write to us at: BDML Connect Ltd, 1000 Lakeside North Harbour, Western Road, Portsmouth PO6 3EN. Please make sure you include your full name, address, date of birth and reference number.
Law applicable to this contract
You and we are free to choose the law applicable to this contract, but in the absence of agreement to the contrary the law of the country in which you are resident at the time of the contract will apply. If you are not a resident in the United Kingdom, the law which will apply will be the law of England and Wales.
Financial Services Compensation Scheme ('FSCS')
If we or your insurer were unable to meet our obligations you might be entitled to compensation under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). Further information about the scheme is available from the FSCS website at www.fscs.org.uk or by calling us.
A specimen Policy Booklet is available on request